Friday, August 15, 2014

Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup

Do you guys remember that mushroom soup at Panera Bread like 4 years ago?  
No?  That's a shame. 
I found this recipe on Pinterest for a homemade cream of mushroom soup and it seemed easy enough. 
I've definitely never made homemade soup before; actually, I've never really made homemade anything before.  Cooking and baking aren't exactly my thing.  


Chungah of Damn Delicious posted this recipe and I think I followed it almost exactly.  

The recipe called for: 
1/4 cup unsalted butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 pounds of mushrooms, thinly sliced *I used shitaki 
1 onion, diced * I used half
Salt and pepper, to taste *I was very generous
1 cup red wine *I drank the rest while cooking
4 cups chicken broth *I used 3 & 1/2
1 cup heavy cream *I added about a 1/2 cup more to thicken it
1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons cornstarch * I doubled this


I added a generous amount of butter, garlic, mushrooms, and onion to my large pot and let it cook down/simmer for about 10 minutes over medium heat.  I added my salt and pepper and turned up the heat for another 2 minutes.  While this was happening, I mixed up the cornstarch and 1/4 cup of water in a small bowl and set it to the side, I needed it in about 10 minutes.  

Next I added my cup of wine and brought it up to a boil; this part rocked, it smelled amazing.  Once it boils, bring it back down to a simmer and at your leisure add in chicken broth, heavy cream, and thyme.  Also stir in the cornstarch mixture and add more cornstarch as you see fit to make it as thick as you would like. 

I also made a quick and easy Take and Bake bread that I popped in the oven for the last ten minutes of soup making.  Serve immediately together & enjoy! 

Here is the finished product.  
SUPER yummy, SUPER easy. 


Do you have an easy recipe I could try? 

 photo signature_zps19a8b805.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment